Saturday, May 14, 2011

Musings of my mind . . .

Church was fun today. Bro Ohman is such a power house. I want to be just like he is and soon as possible.

Something I was thinking about is how the Lord is able to take away our burdens and make them light, no matter the size. Still am not quite sure why I give myself more to do and set myself goals that are beyond the ability of anyone to accomplish . . . maybe I enjoy growing and stretching myself.

Another thought bouncing around inside of me is what David Walley said on my mission. He defined Patience: the Christlike Attribute in a marvelous way. He said Patience is finding peace in the present. Finding peace in the here and now. Why should we wait for the Millennium for that, when its possible to achieve it now? The Spanish word for 'Patience' is _______ (insert it cuz I don't know it) something that means Peace Science (or the Science of Peace). The Savior's defining and all-encompassing qualities are love and peace, an indescribable emotion that transcends the mortal and exalts the individual to a higher plane of understanding. One may wonder just how the Savior could possibly love us so much? I've wondered that, but even more I've wondered how I can love others in that same way (at least to the best of my feeble abilities)?
My other thought on the subject is that in order to find peace, we need to rid ourselves of contention. Contention is of the Devil, so is worry, so is doubt. Since I stopped worrying about how well I do on school assignments, my grades have generally gone up, and when they haven't I've had a clear view of what I need to do to improve.

The other thought I had was to try and see everyone else as my example and to see them how Christ sees them, and I'll progress much faster, but I guess that's partly selfish (so fake it til you make it). Seeking to glorify others is much more rewarding than anything that is self-glorifying or gratifying.

And Humility I'm learning is not self-debasing in anyway, nor is it the absence of a self-exalting attitude, but rather it is an eternal dependence on our Savior and a proper and whole view of who we are. We must have a correct view of ourselves if we want to run the race of life to the best of our ability and to help others reach their full potential. Someday as Latter-Day Saints we will simply be able to let our light shine in full . . . to allow our very countenances to shine forth the gospel we live and love, and by so living, purify every soul we come in contact with. I had a small taste of that on my mission.
The ability to enlarge our hearts is a two-fold battle, physical and spiritual. Our diligence is affected by the physical, but our charity is affected by the spiritual. Once we learn to enlarge our hearts enough to encompass and balance both, we will permanently be on the road to exaltation.

Fear is the most disturbing emotion there is. It clouds judgment, stops us from even trying to reach our full potential, and keeps us focused inward. Doubt and fear are not attributes of Christ.
They are lies of Satan. So is despair, so is disobedience.


And now onto the day as it was today. Breakfast . . . Church . . . jammin' on the Ukuleles with Kori and Krystalee and others . . . and Dinner. Is it possible to be addicted to food? Yes!!!
I wish basketball was an approved Sabbath Activity.

And we watched the Ten Commandments yesterday!!! Fun Fun Fun!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Troy,
    the Spanish word for patience is paciencia. The word for peace is paz and the word for science is ciencia, so paciencia is sort of a blend of those two words. I never thought about that before.
    Jammin on the ukeleles, huh??? That sounds fun. Be careful in Turkey.

    ReplyDelete